Wiki

And Here is the collaborative EGLUG WikiWikiWeb.


AUC cooperation

Today Cvirus, me and mostafa as3ad attended a meeting with the student activities coordinator of the AUC to arrange possible future cooperation.

First I'd like to thank Mostafa for his efforts in opening this door, and getting the ball rolling. I hope good comes out of this.

The coordinator was very friendly, and she was interested in cooperating with us. There were two possible ways to do this. Either under the umbrella of a continuous effort they have called the ICIT, or under the auspices of their CS department.

ICIT have an upcoming major event in November that we might be able to hook onto. The coordinator gave me the number of the person responsible for the ICIT organization, and I will try to see how it goes.

UPDATE 1: I have spoken with ICIT organizer and found out that they rent booths in the event commercially, therefore we can't take one. However, after the main conference is done, which is on the 12th of November, they will be conducting seminars about various topics. He agreed to let us give a seminar about FOSS and eglug. Details are still not clear to me, but he is interested in coordinating with us.

Now I need commitment from at least 2 volunteers that they can give this seminar. Then I can call him again, and work out the details.

I will update this wiki page as more detail becomes evident.

Front page proposal

Trying to do items 5 and 6 from :

The main problem was that new users don't know how to navigate the website properly. Most of us know we have to click on recent posts to track new content, but that also has a problem; updated pages don't get bumped to the top of the list.

Some people suggested redesigning the theme. I don't think we need such a drastic change. My idea is to make a face page that contains the stuff we need to show new users and guests. This wiki page will be an attempt to build that page :

The page will need to be dynamically generated from the website's content. It can be done with php or using the views module. It might be easier to do after upgrading to 4.7

Title : main page

The following items are already displayed in the sidebars, but might be moved to the face page instead.

I know most of these things are already done in different pages, but I think collecting them together would be nice.

GUC Organization

This event is DONE Thanks for all participants.

Big thanks to Mr. Moutaz Haddara for his effort in coordinating , and his personal interest in the matter.

!!!! Thanks to all of you for your help, dedication, and patience. As you all know, event organization is a learning process :) so I hope that GUC (and I) overcome our problems next time to plan more properly, anyway thank you very much, it was very successful.

When?

We need a fixed date. Right now, we're aiming for the beginning of the academic term in 5th September 2006. I suggest to make it 2 weeks after everyone's back, so there's time to advertise it in the GUC.

16th September has been decided on.

What?

Let's not call it an Install Fest. It's a free open source software (FOSS) awareness event. Some people have expressed objections about it being a free and non-free open source event. I don't have anything against non-free open source software, like cedega for example. Ideas people?

We had the idea of organising the event into booths, each booth will not have one volunteer but actually a group of volunteers. They will advocate some particular idea or concept they believe in. They are free to choose what they want to talk about, and they will be totally be responsible for providing the materials they need; stickers, posters, hardware, software, CDs, pamphlets. This way people will contribute to something they believe in and at the same time we will have some competition between teams. However the teams must be formed before hand and they should write their idea here, and organize properly with the general volunteer groups, so we don't have duplication of efforts.also, would give the advantage to the lecturer to have prepared well and made sure that everything was ok, finally, will take the load off having to ask for more computer to demonstrate things on.

Some of the volunteers who don't have a certain idea to attach to can oversee the general organization, and manage the resources globally.

Good ?

Important (maybe Issues)

Phaeronix and I went to the GUC this morning, things will be a little bit difficult.. just a little bit.. because the university isn't very willing to provide more than the place itself (things are still being approved). So what I am asking from all of us is not to depend on any outer resources (as we do not have sponsors, yet). If we need something we will have to get it ourselves and if there are problems we will need to work them out ourselves.

Organization and Ideas:

Volunteers should read this carefully: If they would like to demonstrate something not discussed here, just add it. Official Demo list is the table below in "Demos" section, make sure you add yourself there. This is just a space for ideas and organization.

''(Added by thewizardofoz): I'll try to explain as good as I can what I am trying to deliver. If you have anything you would like to see being discussed then cool :) Note that these points are wri(Will still consider)tten out of personal experience and point of view: Points are grouped, so if you are interested in discussing a certain "group", add at the end of it the tag (TAKEN) and copy it into the list below along with your name, the distro (if any needed) you will be using to demonstrate the points, and if you have a laptop or not. If you don't own a laptop but will be needing one, please mention it so we work out.''

  • GROUP: Discussing the structure of a Linux(UNIX) system:
    • (TAKEN) The kernel, Security and User Management in Linux (important to understand how user management works, discussing root, users, groups, file permissions, etc)
    • (TAKEN) Demonstrate Distribution installations (maybe also compare it to Windows)
    • Might be covered by same people who do introduction.
  • (TAKEN) GROUP: KDE demo. (Might be same group as above)
    • This one should cover almost everything about KDE and conducted on a KDE-centric Desktop.
  • (TAKEN) GROUP: Eye Candy and usability: this can go into each DE to be demonstrated? or just have 1 person show the eye candy?
    • XGL and Compiz
  • (TAKEN)GROUP: Phaeronix and GNOME.
    • Phaeron would demo his liveCD and basic GNOME desktop.
    • thewizardofoz uses GNOME desktop with Mono and demonstrates Beagle, F-SPOT, etc.
  • (TAKEN, but still needs more people) GROUP: Demonstrating WINE: this can be very tough in setting up, can 2 or 3 person settle up on working on this? and make sure things work really good. also show how WINE emulates a "C:" drive, "Program Files", etc...
  • GROUP: Webservers and Web Platforms.
    • DarKnesS_WolF will do from zero to drupal " webserver, mysql " in 15 min
    • (TAKEN) FTP servers, ssh, apache (HTTP), etc...
  • GROUP: XEN:
    • Diaa Radwan : I will do it on fedora.
  • (TAKEN) GROUP: Different programming languages and IDEs:
    • Mnabil will demo Development Environments: Eclipse, Anjuta, Monodevelop, KDevelop...etc
    • Mnabil will demo Unsupported languages and their alternatives: Visual Basic -> Glade, etc.
    • Michael will demo Java FOSS thing, Tomcat, NetBeans, Java configuration ...
  • (TAKEN) GROUP: GIS
    • Demo of Grass, QGIS etc. by maha, ma3aly, rashawater & mahy_gis.
  • GROUP: Audio Production and DJing.
  • GROUP: Graphics (GIMP, Inkscape)(possibly merged with GNOME demo).
  • GROPUP : Fedora LiveCD generation tool Kadischi (DiaaRadwan)conceptor.
  • Gains(added by bassist):
    • Security (Barely any Viruses, Spyware, Malware, ..)
    • Stability
    • Flexibility and Versatility
    • Can be used by everyone (From the most advanced hacker to the 75-year old Granny who only checks her mail)
    • Error messages that actually make sense (No weird illegal operations)

(Added by thewizardofoz): I think having our laptops with us would make things much easier, as of whoever could use the distro they want (of course as long as they get to show what they are supposed in a good way), also, would give the advantage to the lecturer to have prepared well and made sure that everything was ok, finally, will take the load off having to ask for more computer to demonstrate things on.

I suggest the following categories of activities:

Demos

WhoDemoDistroHasLaptop?
PhaeornixXGL on ubuntu or phaeronix. Could be generalized into the linux desktop state.......
Mnabilprogramming Languages IDE's (anjuta,Kdevelop,eclipse,Mono).Ubuntuyes
Diaa RadwanFedora Core (administration/development perspective), Free and Open source talks.......
thewizardofozWINE, general desktop demos, also ftp/http server, ssh/scp/etc and vnc, dpkg, apt-get, apt-cache, apt-build, etc..., also can take over: installation (explaining it and comparing it to Windows maybe?), also can take over general information/introduction about Linux usage (user management, root, etc...)UbuntuYes
CVirusKDE TourKubuntuYes
MichaelJava FOSS thing, mysql quick startOpenSUSEYes
Khaled HosnyX dm's & wm's......
BassistThe Linux command lineUbuntuYes
DarKnesS_WolFFrom Zero To drupal CMSubuntuYes

Talks (lecture-format)

  1. What is open culture?

Where?

At the GUC campus. We need to settle where inside, since it's large. Then we get pictures of the location and post them here.

Target?

I have raised this issue with Mr.Motaz , and I am expecting the answer soon. Basically we have the GUC students, other people by invitation, or we could make it open for everyone. We are used to leaving this event open, but circumstances are different this year, so let's wait and see the answer. The answer was that, making it open is difficult due to security and transportation issues. It is possible to allow the known list of volunteers to bring along upto 3 extra visitors. Also we can encourage the GUC students to bring along their friends too. I think this is better than closing down the event to a certain group of people.

How?

We need two things:

People

Here's where we commit ourselves to this event. Please add yourself to the list.

Anyone else interesd ? Please add your name. People already in the list please try to say what you are interested in doing.

Meetings summary

  • Bassist Command line intro.
  • GNU/Linux and history talks problem "YoussefAssad is out" we need people for this area..
    • I suggest Bassist, to give it with the command line intro, as the command line will be short and he will have to repeat it a lot, so for the sake of him not to fall asleep repeating the same short thing over and over again, he can give the history of GNU and Linux and then derive from the "History of Linux" subject to the command line, I find it a little related.
  • BooDy will write the Arabic pamphlets 200 Copy
  • Fred/Phaeronix will go to the GUC tomorrow morning...
    • Location
    • Transportation
      • EGLUG Volunteer has cars
        • Fred (3 People)
        • Bassist (3 People)
        • GUC bus?
          • Still being investigated.
    • PCs/Resources (Still being investigated by the GUC)
      • Fred 1 PC GUC
      • GIS Group 2 PCs GUC
      • Phaeronix 1 PC GUC
      • Diaa 1 PC GUC
      • Khaled Hosny 1 PC GUC
      • 8 port switch DarKnesS_WolF
      • 8 port switch Mnabil
      • 4 port switch fred
      • 1 power switch DarKNesS_WolF
      • 1 power switch mnabil
      • 1 power switch cvirus
      • 1 power switch fred
      • network cables Mnabil
      • 1 WebCam amgadpasha
      • 1 RJ tools DarKnesS_WolF
      • Creative 2.1 Bassist
      • DataShow (is there at the GUC by default)
      • CDs Ubuntu/Kubuntu Desktop
        • Cvirus will get the images
        • BooDy 50 CDs
        • Cvirus 10 CDs
        • Mnabil 10 CDs
        • Bassist 10 CDs
        • DJ KING 20 CDs
        • DJ KING WebCam (for theSamo to demonstrate)
    • Connection
      • Wireless access in general
      • Wired connection for the people who will be getting their home PCs and for people without wireless cards in their laptops(and we will be using the switches to share it)
  • DarKnesS_WolF gets the address of the T-Shirt store and the svg/png image
    • Add your name here if you want a tshirt
      • thewizardofoz
      • BooDy

Equipment

List of needed resource. Some will be provided by the GUC, others will be pledged by us.

ItemNumber
Computers2
Network Switch
Power cables
Network cables
Wireless access
Webcam1
Microphone2

This will depend on what we're doing. Each person responsible for an area will be responsible for defining needs. phaeron will be responsible for reviewing people's requirements.

here is a good article about streaming a conference. Will somebody interested jump on this?

This is page is here to start organization of the GUC install fest in coordination with our contact from GUC, Mr.Motaz

I have taken initiative on this one.

I took the contact's data from Youssef. His name is Mr.Motaz and I spoke to him today. The offer is still valid.

He will be joining us on the wiki page to organize from the GUC's side.

We need at least two months for this. One month for preparing and one month freeze for executing things physically. According tothe GUC that would mean waiting for the summer courses or the beginning of next academic year, so that we have a reasonable amount of attendees (mainly GUC students).

I am in the middle of talking with a gnome developer who might happen to be in Egypt around the time of the install fest. We can have him as an open source figure to give a speech or something.

We have some ideas about the stuff we can demo.

The GUC needs: an exact list of thing that will be done, things that will be needed, and people involved.

Youssef has provided the following : 1. Agree on venue 2. Post photos of venue 3. Agree from what time to what time 4. Agree on getting GUC transportation for volunteers 5. Format; random demos? Presentation? What? 6. How many hours? More than one day?

Most immediately: We have a rough date range, pinpoint please. As soon as we have that, we need a sticky across the front page and a spam to our members.

Next we will make a list of physical resources needed, communicate it to the GUC so they decide on what they will provide, and we start covering the deficit with pledges.

Right now we also need MORE INPUT people !

GUC install fest aftermath

dilemma : all veteran eglug event organizers are missing. Most of the volunteer team are first timers.

results : 200+ attendees and 50+ installations in my estimate. Quite good for a closed event.

People were very interested in XGL, desktop and programming.

We had surprise appearances of :

Mr. Tamer .. our new friend from Germany. He gave a short php/zend intro in the end. Mr. Enzo and Mr. Alex .. from itsynergy dropped in to have a look.

problems faced :

Delayed response of GUC people to our requests.

Very limited internet connectivity, due to the "security" constrains.

Incompetence of GUC drivers and transportation supervisor which lead to loss of one volunteer ( he returned home ) and the late arrival of three other volunteers. We owe them an apology. improper preparation of extra and custom packages.

NTFS partitions are still difficult to deal with. Data loss in one laptop due to repeated trials of resizing an ntfs partition. The guy was very frustrated and we owe him an apology. We need to investigate when to recommend NOT to resize partitions. One of the attendees had partition magic, but it also failed to resize an ntfs partition on another laptop.

We managed to use the hall we were assigned in a useful way. But i think the down side was that the sound reverberated badly making it impossible to have group discussions and the main presentations at the same time.

It felt like we needed more volunteers but I think we held up good.

I broke Cvirus's mouse. I also broke my own mobile charger.

Remaining issues :

Calculate how much the volunteers spent and try to spread it out evenly in a friendly way.

In the future :

We need more of these small scale events in other places. Better cooperation with the GUC.

Big thanks to Mr. Moutaz Haddara for his effort in coordinating , and his personal interest in the matter.

Organization of WikiMania 2007 in Alexandria

Introduction

Objectives

We need this info added as fast as possible

try to organize the data avaliable here into the bid page on meta-wiki, what we need is the price rates, total number of rooms and type (S/D), plz try to organize the data here first and then copy it when it's done over to the official bid page. I know it's hard but we need this info by Saturday (morning if possible):

Timeline for Bidding

Agenda

WhatWhoMore Info
Accommodation pricesfor ~ 400-500 people /night/person
Contact with Alex. Libraryfor hosting conferences and sponsor
Air flights costsfrom as much as various places around the world
Local sponsorship opportunitiesex: Internet company could offer a wireless network installed into the conferences hall

تقرير عن إحتفالية تنصيب جنو/لينوكس ٢٠١٠

التقرير ده عن مهرجان تنصيب جنو/لينوكس اللي عملناه أول الشهر ده اللي كان في ساقية الصاوي.

اليوم بيبدأ الساعة 9 الصبح ، بس أحنا وصلنا بدري قبل ما الناس تيجي علشان نجهز المكان والأسطوانات وكده .

وصلنا للمكان الساعة 7 صباحا وكان أول الواصلين هو BooDy وناس تانية من القاهرة وتبعهم وصول الناس اللي جاية من اسكندرية حوالي الساعة 8 صباحا.

وبعدين بدأنا نرتب الكراسي والطرابيزات في المكان وقسمنها على 7 مجموعات على قد الجلسات اللي كانت هتتعمل.

بحلول الساعة 8:30 كان المكان جاهز لإستقبال الزوار وكل واحد من المحاضرين بدأ يجهز نفسه لإستقبال الجمهور.

الساعة ٩ بدأ توافد الناس على المكان والأقبال بدأ يزيد

وكان مخطط لعمل سبع جلسات كالأتي:
"مقدمة للبرامج الحرة مفتوحة المصدر" وقدمها أحمد مكاوي
"تنصيب جنو/لينوكس" وقدمها محمد سعودي
"البرامج البديلة والفرق بين ويندوز وماك وجنو/لينوكس" وقدمها أحمد فيصل
"موضوعات متقدمة في أمن المعلومات" وقدمها عمرو علي
"البرمجة لسطح المكتب" وقدمها أحمد طولون
"إعداد سيرفر ويب لتشغيل المدونات وبرامج الويب" وقدمها محمد زيان
"الثقافة الحرة" وقدمها أحمد غربية
"إستخدمات جنو/لينوكس في الشركات" وقدمها سامح صبري

فضل وصول الناس يتزايد لحد الساعة 12 وبدأنا في فتح الجلسات تانية مكنش محطوطة في الخطة زي "شرح برنامج إنك سكيب للرسم المتجهي" وقدمها أنس مالك و"شرح عن تقنيات الحوسبة "السحابية وقدمها أحمد أبوسيف.

وأستمر إقبال الناس لحد الساعة 2. وحان وقت الغدا وقلنا نأخد راحة ونأكل علشان نقدر نكمل اليوم. وأستمر اليوم لحد الساعة ٤ كان بدأ الأقبال يقل وبدأنا نجهز للجلسة الختامية اللي عملنا فيها زي مشهد تمثيلي بين شخصين واحد مقتنع بالبرمجيات المفتوحة المصدر وواحد مقتنع بالبرامج المغلقة المصدر. وأستمر المشهد التمثيلي وبدأ الجمهور يشارك بأسئلة .

وخلص اليوم على الساعة 5 وبدأنا نفضي المكان.

اليوم كان جميل واللمة كانت أجمل وده أكبر تجمع لمتطوعي EGLUG من مدة كبيرة. وسعدنا بوجود متطوعين جدد وإعادة إحياء نشاط توقف بالقاهرة منذ زمن.

وشكرا لكل من شارك في التحضير واللي أدى الجلسات وكل اللي شارك في نجاح اليوم ده.

يوم ويكيبيديا العربية

الفكرة؟

ما هى ويكيبيديا العربية؟

لماذا؟

تعانى ويكيبيديا العربية من نقص شديد فى المحتوى مقارنة بلغات أقل شهرة منها ويتحدّث بها عدد محدود من الناس.

كما أن نسبة كبيرة من صفحات ويكيبيديا العربية ناقصة وغير مكتملة بل وربما لا تحتوى على أكثر من بضع كلمات.

لذا نهدف من هذه الفكرة إلى تشجيع الناس على المشاركة فى الويكيبيديا ونشر الفكرة على قدر المستطاع.

متى؟

اليوم المقترح: السبت 26 أغسطس، 2006

أسماء المساهمين كمحررين:

أسماء المساهمين كمراقبين:

صفحات مقترحة للبداية بها:

مصادر مفتوحة -> صفحة جديدة لأنها غير موجودة